As part of the discovery phase for an upcoming project, I put together an analysis of public television stations and their web experiences around public affairs. If public TV can mobilize together, there are potentially huge opportunities to harness the boots-on-the-ground quality of the system. With over 60% of stations already producing some public affairs content, there’s a true network to be leveraged. Here are a few of the findings:
- 79% of stations present this content in *some* format on their websites (this includes many local NPR instances)
- 50% of stations have a news destination of some type on their sites
- 9 are currently using COVE, PBS’s enterprise video platform (see video.pbs.org)
- BBC World
- Reuters localized feed (via PI news tool)
- PBS World
- Democracy Now!
- Local Newspaper (varied)
Some real standouts
Mashup of major PBS markets with producing stations
- No public Twitter messages.